Frequently Asked Questions
What Do I Wear?
Comfortable athletic clothes are appropriate for all of our fitness, dance, and capoeira classes. You are welcome to wear specialized attire if you have it, but it is not required or expected. Here are some general recommendations:
- Ballet students can wear ballet slippers or other soft dance shoes, or socks.
- Capoeira students should wear comfortable clothing with bare feet or flexible and lightweight shoes.
- Flamenco students can wear flamenco, character dance, or any other sturdy shoe, or dance barefoot. Skirts are recommended for women and girls (and welcome for anyone). Make sure you wear leggings, shorts or athletic pants under your skirt.
Your choice of footwear will depend on your floor surface at home. Talk with your instructor about the safest footwear for your floor.
What Supplies Do I Need?
We recommend having a water bottle and a notebook on hand. Your instructor will let you know if any other supplies are recommended.
What Kind of Space Do I Need?
Your instructor will guide you in adapting your training to any space that you have available. You're welcome to try out different indoor and outdoor spaces to see what works best. Some things to consider:
- Amount of space: You'll need enough space to lie down on the floor for a Pilates mat class. For dance & capoeira classes, at a minimum you should be able to stand in one place and extend your arms and legs in each direction without hitting anything.
- Equipment placement: You'll need to put your device in a place where you can see and hear your instructor while taking class. We love it when we can also see and hear you, but students are free to turn off your cameras and mics if you prefer.
- Floor: Make sure it is clear of debris during class. The best surface will depend on the type of class and your footwear. Your instructor will help you determine what works best.
- Interruptions & other people: It's perfectly fine for other members of your household to move in and out of your space during class. Please make sure they are aware if they are on camera or microphone. Anyone who enters our virtual classroom by coming into camera or microphone range will be expected to contribute to a safe and supportive environment.
- Lighting & sound: If you would like your instructor and classmates to see you, try to avoid back lighting from windows. A quiet room is great, but we can turn your mic off if it's noisy.
What Equipment Do I Need?
You must have a computer or mobile device with a microphone, camera, and speakers in order to participate in our live online classes. You will also need an internet connection. No other equipment is required, but we recommend the following:
- Pilates students should have a soft clean surface that you can lie down on. This could be a yoga or exercise mat, rug, or carpet.
Ballet students should have a chair, counter, or table that you can use as a barre. Your instructor can help you find something around the house that will work. You will also need a soft clean floor surface for floor warm-up and stretches.